As you may well know, having driving license is one of the most, if not the most important thing you need to drive in India. The only other thing as important as a driving license is motor insurance. If you are caught driving without one, your vehicle could be seized or suspended in addition to a huge fine. Hence, every driver makes sure that they have a valid driving license and a car insurance before they get behind the steering wheel. However, how many of us truly understand the meaning of having a driving license. Firstly, it is made to have exact data on the number of drivers and vehicles there may be on the roads. More importantly, it is designed to control the caliber of drivers that can drive on roads. Having a driver’s license essentially qualifies you eligible to drive on the road. Anyone who is no eligible is denied a license. Hence, if you want to drive a car or ride a bike on the road, you need to have a driver’s license.
Before you get a license, you need to be aware of every aspect of them. Hence, here is everything you need to know about driving licenses and how to get one:
Types of driving licenses
The type of driving licenses is divided across 5 categories. These categories are based on the type of vehicle that a driver would be driving. If you prove to be efficient in driving the vehicle, your driving license will include a permit for you drive that vehicle. The different types of driving licenses are:
- Two-wheelers with gear
This includes any two-wheeler that hat has a transmission system. The transmission system of any vehicle is very tricky to learn. Hence, if you can show that you can use the gear system of a bike effectively, you will be granted this permit.
- Two-wheelers without gear
While they are barely a decade old, two-wheelers without a gear system are immensely popular. May prefer them over two-wheelers with gears. Hence, they require a different permit within the driving license.
While there are classes within four-wheelers like sedans, SUVs, etc., the license that you get for them is common. If you can show that you can drive a car, you will be given a driving license for the same.
- Commercial vehicles
This distinction of vehicles is not based on the workings of it but on the purpose of the vehicle. While a vehicle owned by an individual used for personal use, a commercial vehicle usually belongs to a business entity and is used for commercial purposes.
- Transport vehicles
While all vehicles are designed for transport, this distinction in the driving license is based on what exactly does the vehicle transport. In the case of this type of driving license, any vehicle that is used for transporting goods is termed as a transport vehicle.
Documents required for a driving license
Here is a list of documents you need to submit for a driving license.
- A properly filled license application form
- 2 to 3 passport-sized photographs
- Proof of address
- Proof of age
Steps to apply for a driver’s license online
Here are the steps of applying for a driver’s license online:
- Go to the official website – https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/en/content/driving-licence-0
- Download the application form from the website.
- Once you fill and submit the form, you will be given an application reference number.
- Along with it, you will be given an appointment date to visit the RTO.
- At the RTO, you will be tested for how well you can drive the vehicle that you have applied a license for.
- The assessment will be done by an authorized RTO official based on ability to operate the vehicle, knowledge and implementation of traffic rules and regulations, etc.
- Within a few hours, you will know the result of your test. If passed, you will receive your driver’s license in a few days.